Originally a courthouse, the Jefferson Market Library has served the Greenwich Village community for over forty years. The building is a New York City landmark that was designed by architects Frederick Clark Withers and Calvert Vaux in a Victorian Gothic style. It was erected, along with an adjacent prison and market, during the years 1875-1877.
Since its opening in 1967, The Jefferson Market Regional Library has been collecting interesting rare books on the history of New York City – particularly Greenwich Village. There are more than 150 books in this collection that can be found downstairs in the Reference Room. The library also has an archive of photographs and other material on the history of the Jefferson Market Library and Courthouse.
The Jefferson Market Library also hosts a variety of events in their building, and have been gracious time and again to let the New York Nineteenth Century Society rent their space time and again in order to accommodate our lectures and workshops on 19th century history. If you would like to learn more about them, feel free to contact them through their Community Information Page.